Dec 23, 2011

"Tonakai" is a basic meat in Alaska

Reindeer is a well-known animal in Japan that Santa Clause uses to transport gifts children. It is translated as "Tonakai"(トナカイ) into Japanese, but I don't know the origin of the name.

Today, I have learned that reindeer is a basic meat in Alaska through the VOA Special English program. At first, I could not understand this part in it, "children might want to cover their ears for this part", but later I found out it.

"Why do children want to cover reindeer's ears?", first I thought. After considering it, I got to an idea that means "子供たちは、この部分については、耳を覆いたくなるかもしれない。=子供たちは、このことは聞きたくないかも知れないが".

There are similar stories in the world. Those include that some people in Japan eat a meat of dolphin and some Korean eat dog's meat. And I have heard that people in Britain usually eat a meat of rabbit. They look very similar things to me, but there are many critics against eating dolphin and dog. I do not know why those differences happen on those issues.


2 comments:

ジョン said...

I've never quite understood people's dislike of eating cat and dog meat as compared to other animals' meat. I'm assuming that it is because humans are just closer to these animals.

I did find a Wikipedia article on the subject, though, if you're interested. (There's a Japanese one too.) I don't have time to look at it in detail right now, but religious factors play a role too, it seems.

bikenglish said...

Jon-san

Thank you for good information. I have not read the article completely because of large amount of words. But, I have learned that some European eat dog through it. Thank you.