Aug 25, 2007

"Okinawa!"

I went to Okinawa during from August 23 to 25 with my family.

Episode 1

It was sold at a local market. I didn't know that folks in Okinawa have a custom to eat dolphin's meat. But the fact didn't surprise me very much because I have heard people who live in Iki island, Nagasaki have similar custom.

I have never eaten a dolphin's meat but I used to eat a whale's meat in my childhood. It was low-cost, and good taste. In that days, lions in a zoo ate it because of low-cost. Now, I have sometimes eaten it, but the amount of it that I can eat is very few because it is so expensive.

There has still been a custom to eat a dog in Korea. I think that it is not cruel to eat other mammals except domestic animals like cow and pig.

Episode 2

We saw "Jinbei-zame"s at "Chura-umi-suizoku-kan". They were very big, so I think it is worth to see them there.

Episode 3

We ate a Okinawa's traditional noodle named "Okinawa-soba" or "Souki-soba". It was very delicious but a little bit expensive, 600yen.

Episode 4

This photo was not taken at Okinawa. I took this photo at an antique shop in Munakata city, Fukuoka where we dropped in on our way home. I didn't know how to use it, but I thought it was a big container for foods. Its price was 150 thousand yen, so expensive!

dolphin=「イルカ」=「海豚」、Iki=「壱岐」 Chura-umi-suizoku-kan=「美(ちゅ)ら海水族館」

3 comments:

yukyey said...

沖縄は大好きで、私も何度か訪れました。歴史に負けず、いろいろな興味深い事がある土地ですねー。
もちろん料理もその1つです(笑)
早速ソーキソバが食べたくなりました。

bikenglish said...

yukyeyさんへ

コメントありがとうございます。

沖縄のホテルで、久しぶりに体重を測ってみたところ、その2,3日の飽食のせいか、標準体重+5㌔になっており、ちょっとショックを受けています。

我が家に戻ってからは、①ビールを控える②夕食のご飯は1杯まで③自転車で走る距離を増やす、を実践して、10月の人間ドックの際には、標準体重+3㌔にする予定です。

Anonymous said...

600 yen for that "udon" is cheap compare to the japanese food in USA. Maybe you can show me where i can find cheap and good food in japan. Nice website!!!

I am Jin Zheng from japan-guide.com forum.