May 27, 2011

VOA Special English News 15

The operators of the Fukushima nuclear power station have reported new details of the disaster that followed the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Tokyo Electric Power company said Tuesday that it thinks fuel rods at three of the power station's six nuclear reactors were destroyed soon after the tsunami. Also, Tuesday, twenty experts from the International Atomic Energy Agency began work in Tokyo. The experts want to learn the cause of the accident. In June, they will make suggestions, (*I could not catch this part completely.)how to avoid such accident in the future.

(日本語訳)
福島原子力発電所(の作業者たち)は、地震と津波による被害の詳細をリポートした。東京電力は、火曜日、津波が到来してすぐに、6基ある原子炉のうち、3基の燃料棒が破壊されたと見ていると、発表した。また、火曜日、国際原子力機関の20人の専門家が東京で仕事を始めた。専門家たちは、事故の原因を究明したいとしている。6月、将来におけるこのような事故の発生を避ける方法について提案する予定である。

2 comments:

ジョン said...

Wow, this is your best one yet, I think. Perhaps I should try this exercise sometime.

"In June, they will make suggestions, (*I could not catch this part completely.)how to avoid such accident in the future."

My best guess is that you could just insert "about" here. I'm not sure if that's what they originally said, of course. The written article doesn't seem to match.

"In June, they will make suggestions about how to avoid such accidents in the future."

bikenglish said...

Jon-san,

Thank you for a good advice.

At first, this part "sounded suggestions and how to", but later I thought it was weird. I think that your suggestion is correct. Thank you again.